Human Foods That Are Toxic to Dogs


Most people who have dogs when they are in the kitchen preparing a meal will know someone is watching them. They sit there with their puppy dog eyes, waiting for you to drop them some human food. But you need to know which foods can harm your dog.

Our digestive systems work differently from theirs. Some food we eat every day can be toxic for them and can cause dangerous diseases, so it is essential to know what they should and shouldn’t eat. Here are the most common human foods you should avoid to you can keep your dog healthy and prevent toxin exposures.

1. Alcohol

Pexels / Prem Pal Singh Tanwar

Alcoholic drinks or food containing alcohol can have a deadlier effect on your dog, it can cause symptoms including, vomiting and diarrhea.

Like humans, it will induce central nervous system damage, tremors, coma, and even death in some cases. If your dog has drunk any alcohol, you should call your veterinarian immediately.

2. Avocado

Pixabay / tookapic

Avocados as we know are a superfood and nutritious for humans, It is considered by many the elixir of life, but it doesn’t healthy for dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin which is poisonous to dogs, causing vomiting and diarrhea, and also can cause cardiovascular issues.

3. Caffeine

Pixabay / cocoparisienne

Many of us love coffee but our dogs shouldn’t. Caffeine contains methylxanthines. So when your dog gets a cup of coffee, that can cause vomiting and diarrhea, excessive thirst, urination, panting, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, and irregular heartbeats.

4. Macadamia nuts

Pixabay / sunnysun0804

Macadamia nuts contain a toxin material that is not known. They cause limb weakness, elevated body temperature, depression, tremors, vomiting, and panting. The onset of signs typically occurs within six to 12 hours of them eating the nut, and they recover within 24 to 48 hours, but if your dog becomes very sick you should visit the vet.

5. Xylitol

Pixabay / Shirley810

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol used as a sugar substitute, which causes an insulin release in our bodies, most often found in baked goods, candy, gum, toothpaste, and even peanut butter.

However, if your dog eats some of them, it spurs the pancreas to unhealthy release secreted insulin, resulting in low blood sugar, and blood clotting disorders, and also can cause the leading to liver failure if they overeat Xylitol. Signs to know if your dog is toxic will look like weakness, drunken gait, collapse, and seizures within 30 to 60 minutes of ingestion. If you notice any of these signs, bring him to the vet before it develops into liver damage to become permanent.

6. Onion, Garlic, and Chives

Pixabay / Shutterbug75

The onion or another Allium family like chives, and garlic, are particularly toxic to dogs, whether both cooked or dried, and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. This can also lead to many other medical conditions including kidney damage.

Signs of toxicity by onion can cause pale gums, rapid heart rate, weakness, lethargy or even bloody urine can be seen.

7. Bones

Pixabay / Shutterbug75

We all know the dogs love bones to chew, but avoid cooked bones, but why? Because these can splinter and get stuck in their throat or at worst, cause a hole in the gut which can be deadly. Also, you shouldn’t ever give them bird bones, it will cause the same.

8. Grapes and raisins

Pixabay / NickyPe

Grapes and raisins are toxic for dogs can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure, and can lead to death. Signs of toxicity include abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and decreased urine production within 24 hours. The ingredient inside grapes that causes the toxin is unknown.